Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Gowlett, Peckham, Naples Pizza in a pub?

I went to the Gowlett on the advice of a friend who lived in London for years.
His selling point was that anyone he'd ever brought there had said it was the best pizza they'd ever had. Tall words indeed!

I however was more intrigued by he fact that it sounded like a local boozer doing stunning thin based pizza. I love pizza, if you've read this then you'll know what I mean.

I wasn't wrong, it's literally an old school pub, with a pool table, friendly staff and a beer garden doing great pizza. It's not the best pizza I've ever had, but I was definately impressed that a pub on the borders of central London could hold themselves to such a high standard. We had a bresaola salad which was delicious covered with balsamic vinaigrette and Parmesan, followed up by two pizzas.


After that I had their namesake pizza "Gowlettini" and my friend had a Hawaiian.


Their house red is also a nice touch being fairtrade organic wine, but we had been drinking all day so I can't tell you about that really, we necked it.

What I can say is that my pizza the Gowlettini was fantastic, neopolitan style pizza done exceptionally well, Mozzarella, Goat’s Cheese, Pine Nuts, Proscuitto and Rocket. The best thing was the crust, people who leave the crust like this chump are missing the best part of the pizza, a real pizza lover knows that the proof of a good pizza is in the crust.

Bourdain leaving a real Naples crust on plate, I used to respect him until I saw that.

The point is, crust is probably what I associate the best Naples pizza with, everything else is easily done, i mean, you're just cutting up mozz, basil and blending San Marzanos, but a true Naples style pizza lives and dies on the quality of the crust.

Happily I can report that the Gowlett's crust is top notch, A1, with a nice crunch followed by a springy chew.

See that? Magic.

I now know where to go for a decent pizza in London.