Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dublin Coddle

You know that scene in Ratatouille where the Critic takes a taste of the dish and is instantly transported back to childhood? For me that dish is Coddle. We didn't call it "Dublin Coddle" because I was from a long line of Dubs. For me coddle is my Ma's recipe that I'll outline below.

It's my favourite winter meal and I'm actually eating some of the leftovers for breakfast as I type this. That's how much I love it. That said it may not be to everyone's taste. Previous attempts to explain what it is have been met by responses of "yes but what are those willies doing in there?"

Ingredients:

  • 10 Irish style pork sausages
  • Cubed Ham. (sometimes substituted for bacon rashers if money is tight)
  • 4 Large boiling potatoes (peeled, quartered)
  • 1 large onion. (cut in quarters)
  • carrots (optional)
  • Curly Parsley.
  • Barley. (I used quarter of the bag)
  • Salt
  • Pepper

CIMG1764

The technique is very simple. Lash everything into a big pot, add water, bring to boil, season, turn down to simmer, cover, and leave for about an hour. That's it. Serves 5.

CIMG1765


CIMG1766
Willies.

CIMG1767


CIMG1772
If you forget the barley you're doing it WRONG. It adds a considerable amount of starch which thickens the broth.

CIMG1773


CIMG1775


CIMG1778


CIMG1782

It's not going to win any awards for it's looks but I can tell you it'll blow you away taste wise. I season mine with extra salt and pepper after to turn it into a spicy soupy stew.
I literally just noticed the green white and orange in there too. See? Awesome! :D